The Government of the Province of Newfoundland Labrador, in Canada, has announced an amendment to education legislation that gives authority to the College of the North Atlantic (CNA), and, by extension, the College of the North Atlantic-Qatar (CNA-Q) to grant degrees.
This is very exciting news! However, much work remains to be done to make this a reality.
This change provides us the opportunity to meet the expectations of Qatar's youth, their parents, and Qatari employers, while still maintaining our focus on applied learning and achieving the objectives of the Qatar National Vision 2030.
Our goals are:
- To offer our first courses for degree programs in September 2017.
- To offer degrees that will seamlessly provide options and opportunities for all our past, current, and future students (that is, our primary initial focus will be to develop programs that allow those with CNA-Q two and three year Diplomas to complete a degree) .
- To offer degree pathways for all of our Diploma programs.
Some significant steps need to be completed before CNA-Q will be able to begin offering degree programs. These include:
- CNA, our ‘parent’ College, and its Board will need to determine the framework for degrees to be approved by its Academic Council. The proper approval process, policies, and procedures will need to be developed and thoroughly reviewed to ensure that our new degree offerings, like our current diploma offerings, will be internationally recognized.
- The Ministry of Education and Higher Education (MOEHE) of Qatar will be consulted to determine the expectation regarding the structure of degrees as they will need to comply with MOEHE regulations to be officially recognized in the State of Qatar. - Employer stakeholders will be consulted regarding degree programs that are best aligned to their workforce needs.
- CNA-Q will develop degree programs that meet student and employer needs and comply with the structure and framework determined by CNA, as well as complying with MOEHE expectations and regulations.
- Degrees developed specifically for CNA-Q will then be submitted to CNA Academic Council for approval as official CNA degrees to be offered in Qatar. We will also ensure the resulting degrees meet the needs and expectations of the MOEHE.
- Once all approvals are final, CNA-Q will ensure that all degree content is developed and proper resources are in place (faculty, facilities, systems, library resources, etc.) to successfully deliver degree programs.
- Once all of these steps have been completed, CNA-Q will be in a position to begin enrolment for the new degree programs.
Again, this is an exciting development for CNA-Q. However, I would like to reiterate that much work lies ahead of us in order to make this a reality. We ask for your patience as we work closely with all our partners. This site will be updated as new information becomes available.
We would like to gauge how many people would be interested in taking a degree program from the College of the North Atlantic-Qatar when they are ready to be offered. If you would be interested, please click on request for more information to submit your contact information.